Search This Blog

March 14, 2012

Example of the Believers

“According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life or by death.”

-Paul's Epistle to the Philippians (Phil 1:20)


“Nothing” is a strong word, isn't it?

Don't Paul's words to the Philippians sound a little zealous, when you just hear it for the first time?
When I started reading Philippians, I was amazed to read how passionate this man was for Christ.

He literealy would do anything to magnify Jesus.

I'm not sure if you all have noticed this, or if it's just me, but... our passion for Christ in today's society is not quite like it used to be.

Why is that?
It should not be this way.

Well,” you say, “I'm just a kid. That's why I won't do anything for Christ.”

Every person matters to the body of Christ, whether young or old.
in fact, Paul encourages a young man named Timothy in his letter saying:

"Let NO man despise thy youth; But BE thou an example of the believers,
In word,
in conversation,
in charity,
in spirit,
in faith,
in purity."
(Tim 4:12)

Did you catch that?
Paul is telling Timothy, a young man, to not “let” others despise his youth, and to be an example to... who?
The believers.

Paul even goes on to list multiple different ways that we can do that. :)

Something that God has been teaching me is this:
Just becuase your parents, your pastors, elders, teachers, mentors, coaches,
or peers, friends and siblings
may not expect you to do great things for God's glory,
doesn't mean that you can't
or shouldn't.


Basically, just because the Christian society has standards and expectations as low as the floor of how we should be living for God,
Doesn't mean that we should lower ours.

God kind of burned those words into my mind in Timothy,
and I realized that I should not be operating with such low expectations like our society.
And now after reading Paul, who basically said “My hope and purpose is that Christ is magnified through my body, whether I live or die to do it,”
I'm realizing that while it's good to not have low expectations and standards,
I need to have God's standards,
and while it's good and biblical to have godly inspirations
I need to choose Jesus as my #1 inspiration.

God bless you all,
Your brother in Christ,
Landon


Recommendation:
Alex and Brett Harris' book, Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are
http://www.therebelution.com/


(Just listened to it.... amazingly inspiring and encouraging! Hundreds of stories of young people doing hard thing s for God's Glory)

Challenge: Read Philippians 1:12-30 and picture yourself saying and doing that.

2 comments:

  1. "In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you. They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead."
    - 1 Peter 4:4-5

    Preach it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great verse. :)
    If we're ready to give an account to God, then looking strange to the world is what SHOULD happen!

    ReplyDelete