Search This Blog

September 7, 2012

What? Better than ME?

"...but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other, better than themselves."
Paul's letter to the Philippians (Ph 2:3b)
What a mentality!
I find that sort of mindset very unnatural.
To be able to say to that any other person is BETTER than me, seems like... "hmm. Really? I must be better than some people!"

"What? Better than ME?" ;-)


The lesson God is teaching me through this verse is this:

Value Others

Essentially, learning to have "other-esteem."
Understanding that EVERY person is better than me in some area.
Realizing that I can learn something from EVERYBODY.

Also, not just in the area of learning. But also serving.
If I were to truly value others more that me, what would that look like?
Instead of the thoughts of, "Wow I'm working really hard. I'm pretty awesome. I bet God is smiling at me patting me on the back.  I can't believe no one sees how hardworking, diligent, thoughtful, and borderline 100% humble I am. Silly people."

If I was to adapt the mentality of "Wow, I'm so grateful that God has given me 2 arms and legs, a healthy body,  and a mind that thinks (at least occasionally ;-). There are so many people that work so hard. I hope to learn from their selfless example. How can I serve them better?"

Let's never stop learning to develop the attitude of gratitude.

"It's not what this church can do for you,
But what you can do for Jesus Christ and this church!"
-Eric Ludy

Recommendation of the week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RCVp-qeXLA&feature=player_embedded
 
God bless you all! I thank God for you all!
And for all that I've learned from each of you.

Your bro in Christ,
Landon

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, we learn a lot from you too, bro!
    I don't know everything yet. (I guess) I can still learn...

    Humility seems to be the "atomic quality". As soon as you start talking, you look like a hypocrite... I think we need to give each other grace so we can discuss, knowing that we all need it.

    Great stuff!

    (and that's a great message from Eric Ludy, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great point! And thanks man.
    Isn't it? Eric Ludy has some good stuff!:)

    ReplyDelete