Search This Blog

August 2, 2012

Obituary


"LORD, 
make me to know mine end, 
and the measure of my days, what it is;
that I may know how frail I am."
Psalm 39:4


That verse is a powerful prayer to God. I read it last week and it really impacted me.

I went to a funeral yesterday, and then came back and read this verse again.
Now I think I understand that verse even more.
It helped me to realize my end is really not too far away,
whether I die tomorrow when I'm driving,
or whether I die when I'm 150.

It's all pretty short. And I realize a little bit more "how frail I am."


As I was sitting there for the service, I asked my self these questions:

Would you do anything different if ...
     You knew you had one year to live?
     What about one week?
     How about one day?

If so, what would you do?

I started to write some of those things out, and I encourage you to try it too.

Now I'm asking myself some more questions, when looking at this list:
     Why am I waiting to do this?
     When exactly will I do these things? (The more specific the more likely it is to happen.)

God has been teaching me to number my days a little bit better. (Ps 90:12)
So that I can do what?
Apply my heart unto wisdom.

I want to live today in a way such that those at my funeral are sad that I'm not with them,
but happy because they know that I'm with the Lord.

The ultimate statistic: 10 out of 10 people die.


If you were to die today, how would others remember you?

Were you more eager to criticize than to compliment?
Were you more likely to spread gossip than the gospel?
Were you more enthusiastic about self gratifying activities than service?
Were you more concerned about fame than fellowship?

Or would they say, 5 years from now, when your name is brought up:
"Oh, [Insert your name here]?
I remember [your name].
[your name] loved the Lord so much.
Even to a point of unpopularity and persecution.
[your name] just seemed to love others selflessly, as Christ loved Him.
[your name] definitely inspired and encouraged me to live a life that was all about glorifying God, and telling others about Him."

Lesson:
Live for Christ now.
And then to die is gain. :)

Challenge:
Write out what God would like to be on your obituary.

Recommendation of the Week
Mark Cahill, One Heartbeat Away
Just listened to that last week. Another great book by Mark Cahill. Very biblical and practical application of the great commission.
MarkCahill.org

Sorry I posted late! And thank you all for your patience.
God bless you guys this week. :)
Your bro in Christ,
Landon

"For to me to live is Christ,
and to die is gain."
Philippians 1:21

4 comments:

  1. This is so needful to keep in mind! Also, I know it meant a lot to all of us Fredricksons,to see members of our church family there, on Wednesday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sophia. I know I was truly blessed and very encouraged to be there! Thank you also for playing the wonderful flute music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Landon, thanks for some more encouragement this week. It is true that it is better to be in the house of mourning than in a house of feasting - Ecclesiastes 7:2. I really like the idea of writing out what I would do differently if I would die in a year. Definitely something I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Mr. Caleb. Doesn't it seem that God grows us through those trials? That's a good idea, and I'd love to hear how it works for you. :)

    ReplyDelete