Search This Blog

August 8, 2012

Bible or Breakfast?

"Be still, 
and know that I am God:
I will be exalted among the heathen,
I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

You probably wouldn't pour good oil down the drain, right?
You probably wouldn't dump quality gourmet coffee in the grass, right?
You probably wouldn't throw 70 pounds of gold into the sea, right?
I've heard those are the top most traded commodities in the world.

But here's the crazy question: Would you throw time away?

By not being still, and reflecting on God, that's what you're doing.

It seems that a brand new Christian, when just figurign things out, asks questions like:
"What is restricted, as a Christian?"
Or, "What's off limits?"
Or "What should I not do?"
Or "What can I do?"
Or "What am I allowed to do?

Wanting to push the limits, and be as similar to the world as possible without crossing the line.
Can I go to this party, can I talk to this person, can I hang out, can I watch this movie, can I read that book, can I listen to this music.
Well, counsel, I definitely will say, is better that not asking at all!

But the cool part is that...
Eventually, from my observation of godly adults, it comes to a point where a mature Christian's decision making process is not as much
"What can I do?",
as...
 "What should I do?",
"What must I do?",
and "What is BEST to do?

One example of this, is the story of Mary, Martha, and Jesus. in Luke 10:38-4
"Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."
The lesson from Jesus to Martha in that passage was essentially,

Learn to be still and know that I am God,
and place TOP PRIORITY on investing time in your relationship with Me.

Jesus said that to her, even though she was serving.
I find that amazing.
She was probably doing what most of us think that Christians are supposed to do, right?
But Jesus understood and explained something very important (mt 4:4)
"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeht out of the mouth of God."

Today, the way that we spend time with God, is through reading His Word, and prayer.

Make Time
So some may say, "I don't have time today to read the Bible."
Or "I don't have time to invest in learning about God."
Or "I don't have time to pray to God, more than just 'flare prayers'."
I have been guilty.
Guess what?
Jesus had 24 hours in His day.
Joshua and David had 24 hours.
But they learned to MAKE TIME.
I believe they actually learned to operate with less sleep.
David and Jesus both talk about waking up early.

Suggestions
Some principles that I've heard Ray Comfort talk about are these:
"No Bible, no breakfast."
"No read, no sleep."

And what I've done is at least adapted the second one.
So I don't go to bed without reading what I'm supposed to read in the Bible.
I'm working on the first one, "No Bible, no breakfast."
As well as a new one of  "No pray, no play."
Why? Because of this:

Spending time with Jesus,
Is an eternal investment that will not be taken away from us.

I meant for this to be my shortest post of all.
I was going to practice the VSS (Very short sentence) technique, and be done in about 10 minutes.
I guess that didn't happen. :)

God bless you all with grace and peace this week!
With the love of Christ,
Landon

Recommendation of the Week
Ray Comfort, Freedom from the Fear of Man. Look it up! It's incredible how God has used this sermon to inspire and teach me, through the wisdom and experience (particualrly in evangelism) of Mr. Comfort!

Which is more important, Bible or breakfast?
"Redeeming the time, because the days are evil" -Ephesians 5:16

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Thanks for posting this! I needed to be reminded of this today...I recently found this quote by A.W.Tozer that goes along with what you posted :) "It is possible that we can get so busy doing work 'for' the Lord that we have no time FOR the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that we have got to slog through our Bible reading in order to get to the fun stuff we really want to do, right?

    Is God the Author of all joy, or not?

    Thanks for the meditation.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes He certainly is! That's a good point which I meant to add in there. It's the "get to" vs. "got to" mentality switch, that Mark Cahill talks about. Thanks for pointing that out, Cal! :)

      Delete