Search This Blog

May 2, 2012

Verbal Verb



Why Did Jesus Come To Earth?

“For this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth.”
-Jesus of Nazareth


Hi brothers and sisters in Christ,
It's a new month, I hope you all had a great April!
I know I certainly have, because God is so good!

I've been very blessed this week studying this question in the light of the Word of God:
"What was the purpose of Jesus being born?"
I had been wanting to study that for a long time, but I never took the time to start.
God brought this verse to me this week, and I'm very thankful He did.
I was kind of stunned at first when I read and began understanding this verse:

John 18:37
“Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”

I started to think about what Jesus said:
“To this end (For this reason) was I born,
And for this cause (For this reason) came I into the world,
That I should bear witness unto the truth.”

Breaking that down a bit, and looking at the Greek version to get a fuller meaning....
Thatis "hina" in greek, and means “so that,"
I” being Jesus Himself, the Son of God.
Should bear witness” is "martyreo" in Greek and means
a) to give (not to keep back) testimony
b) to utter honourable testimony, give a good report
c) conjure, implore
Notice this... those verbs are actual verbal. It's talking about us talking to others.
Unto the truth” is "alētheia"  and it can mean a few things.
But one definite thing would be the truth of salvation. Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me." (John 14:6)
So He was actually bearing witness, about Himself being the way to get to the Father (He was talking about Heaven, in the previous verses)

My first impression, was something like, "Hmm, really?"
Because many Christians say that Jesus' purpose was "To love people."
Right?
And while He absolutely showed love, and was the perfect example of love,
His purpose wasn't to show love only by actions,
But to show love in His words, too.
What greater way is there to show love to someone,
Than tell them the truth about how to escape Hell and enter Heaven?
Often times, Christians say, "I'll share Christ's love through my actions, and when people ask what's different about me, then I'll tell them that I'm a Christian."
But not even Jesus did that.
And if anyone in the world had the right to say, "My actions are an example of godliness,"
It would've been Jesus.

Who are we to say that we can just witness with our actions?

This isn't to say that we don't do good unto others, because we are supposed to. (Gal 6:10)
That's a given... we're saved not by good works, but for good works, as Dr. Fredrickson taught from 2 Corinthians at our church, CFC Aurora.

The lesson is, doing good works doesn't earn us salvation,
But we've been saved by such amazing grace of God,
That we shouldn't be able to stop God's love in our actions from flowing out of us! 
And often times people actually are wondering, "What's different about that person?"
But how 'bout we just make it easier for the topic to be brought up,
And take responsibility,
And do our job,
And bear witness unto the truth?

With not only our actions,
But also our words.

Let's pray,
And let's practice,
By and through God's grace,
And for God's glory!

God bless you all this week!
Your brother in Christ,
Landon Thompson

Effingham, IL Cross.
Lot's of people wear crosses.
Let's ask them if they know what it means.



Project 100 Update
Lord willing, this will happen this summer.
I haven't taken the time to do this yet, as I have been waiting on the Lord for a more opportune time to do it. I've had a slight illness I have been going through this last week, as well as needing to take the time to plan it out and learn a bit more from wise people on how to do it. I plan on finding out how Ray Comfort walks up to people with a video camera, and finding maybe a couple people to go with.
 
Recommendation:
Thanks to Nathan Mellas for sharing this audio message with me! 
Amazing, applicable lesson, giving 5 Simple Questions that work 95% of the time someone falsely states information regarding Christianity. (You can download it and listen on your mp3 or iPod!)
You should listen to it, and prepare to be blessed tremendously by a man who truly loves God, and truly loves people. 

Challenge: Watch these weekly witnessing clips by Ray Comfort, to be inspired and encouraged!
What a great question to transition from natural to spiritual conversation... Ray Comfort asks: "What do you think happens after someone dies?"


Prayer:
“And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word.”
-Acts 4:29

4 comments:

  1. Great post, amigo! Can't wait to see you in person again. (3 John 13-14a)

    Random thought: I think one of the main reasons why we don't evangelize is because we aren't willing for Christ to be glorified in us, whether we are or not.

    I'm thinking about that a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you too! Good verse. (If you want to email me, my email is landothompson@gmail.com, and/or I could give you my #.)

      True. Or you might say we're not CONSISTENTLY willing. Whether we are what or not?

      Delete
    2. Evangelizing.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete