Search This Blog

June 6, 2012

Counsel

"Where no counsel is, the people fall: 
but in the multitude of counselors there is safety"
Proverbs 11:14

Good noon fine friends! :)
How are you doing this month of June? 
Hope you are doing well, and experiencing the blessing of the Lord.
I'm thanking and praising God for His goodness, in so many ways. 
He never ceases to amaze me, in showing me how much more I need to learn. :)
I've taken the opportunity (Notice I didn't say I "had" the opportunity... we all "have" opportunity, it's whether we take/use them or not! Yeah. Anyway...)  to ask for wise advice from a couple wise, godly men whom I have a tremendous amount of respect for, in so many ways.

My Grandpa Thompson,  (my dad's dad) is one of them. I asked him last month, in more or less words,

Question "What is the biggest piece of advice that God has taught you throughout your life, that you would advise me to start learning now?"

The advice he gave me made sense at the time, but throughout these last 2 weeks or so, I've started to understand them more.

He explained that I should read God's Word in a couple ways.
Both for fun, or to learn different topics as lead by the Spirit.
But also, as a discipline, with structure.

The second gentleman, Mr. Gary Johnson, an elder at our church, said something similar as well when I asked for his wise opinion.
He explained that I should be reading God's Word, as his first piece of advice.
He also added that we don't need to use any other books aside from God's Word as a "Self-Help" book.

Who (on earth) is counseling you?
I'm looking forward to learning from more and more wise men from whom I would like to take counsel.

God bless you all this week! I pray He gives you grace and peace from our Lord Jesus Christ this week!
Landon




1 comment: