Search This Blog

June 20, 2012

Listen

"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him."
-Proverbs 18:13

Hello friend,

If I had to point out one tip that God has been showing me over this last week, it would have to be this:

Listen.

What a tip!
What an under utilized skill.
As well as a disobeyed command.
"Really?"
Well, here's something that God says in His Word.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:"
-James 1:19
(Hear Mr. Bill Storm talk about this in his sermon on True Religion: James 1:19-27. Great sermon from church last Sunday!)

Notice 2 words:
1. Every
2. Be 

Pretty strong command, right?

I know that listening is something that God has been teaching me recently. I'm amazed to see how awesome God is, as I watch those who are good at listening, and see how God uses those people tremendously to impact people and further His kingdom. 

Keep in mind that although we ought to be slow to speak, that verse actually still means there is a time to speak.
I've tried being the person who just nods, and listens, and smiles, and says nothing. Sometimes a person can go on literally for hours if you let them. And sometimes they are just laying out there problems, and we need to say something to direct the conversation.

And to make sure that you've actually heard and understood both the content and the intent of what the other person is saying, you may want to actually repeat what they said back to them, as Mr. Storm wisely advises.


I've heard many wise people say "Learn to ask the right questions"

Jesus is a great example of that.
Listening, and asking questions. (Listen to Charlie Campbell's sermon on asking questions, called "My Top 5 Questions" He talks about this verse: "He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him." -Proverbs 18:17)

Jesus asked some bold questions.
Are you willing to ask some bold questions?
Examples:
"Do you know if you'll go to heaven when you die?"
"How do you know you'll go to heaven when you die?"
"Have you put your faith in Jesus alone as Lord and Savior, and repented and turned from your sins?"
"When was the last time you shared the good news with others?"
Or "Do you share your faith often?"
If not, "Why not?"

When you ask these questions, and listen, watch what happens.
What are some other bold questions that you could ask?

God bless you all with grace and peace this week!
Your brother in Christ,
Landon

Are you quick to hear?


Recommendation: Highly recommend you listen to Eric Ludy's sermons on his website (to the right). This one specifically impacted me this week. Hero Training.

4 comments:

  1. When I was reading Proverbs on Monday, verse 13 really stood out to me too. Definitely something I need to work on! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely something we all need to work on, some of us more than others. An even if you think you already are a quiet listening person, you could most likely still do with a little less talking and more listening. Another thing, it isn't enough to just be quiet and let others with more wisdom and experience talk, you need to actually LISTEN to what they are saying. I agree and also highly recommend Mr. Ludy's sermons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, Yep, great verse huh? that verse was definitely a good one for me. Sometimes a person starts to say something, and I'm like "No, wait... hold on a minute. My turn to talk." WHen I haven't even understood what they were going to say.

    For sure,g ood point Nate! Mr. Ludy is amazing.

    ReplyDelete